Course Introduction and Expectations and Concerns Activity

Course Introduction and Expectations and Concerns Activity

• Niamh O'Callaghan

May 18, 2021, 10:55 am

I hope the training course provides the skillset required to carry out participatory photography with a cohort who’s voice needs to be heard, I hope it provides them with a creative way to tell their story in a ethical manner on our behalf.

Currently, I am not concerned that the course won’t achieve my goals.

• Tiffani Luethke

May 18, 2021, 11:09 pm

Expectation:
      I am hoping that this course will allow me to become a better researcher by learning about new ways to help empower participants.

Concern:
      I am concerned about the potential challenges of using photography in research (e.g., identifiability of participants).

• Kate Spelman

May 19, 2021, 4:31 pm

I’m expecting/hoping this course to provide me with the skills to develop a PhotoVoice-style project locally, in a way that is ethical and helpful to the community I am serving (LGBT+ older adults).

I am concerned about how much online time is required – that’s a lot of screen time! Additionally, I’m sad I can’t print the manual we were just offered; I have a much easier time reading things off-screen than on-.

I am also concerned about leading a group from a community I don’t belong to (I have another 2 decades before I qualify as an older adult!).

• Candice Salyers

May 19, 2021, 9:28 pm

I hope to learn much more about the ethical considerations in participatory photography specifically and photography in general, and to learn from your wisdom from past experiences and lessons learned in your own practices. (I am also grateful to hear from the video that you will also offer tips and tricks for improving our photography).
      I do not have any concerns about expectations not being met, but I do wonder if it is possible to purchase the PhotoVoice Training Handbook so that we can have access to it to continue to help us with our practices after the training.

• Melisa Maida

May 20, 2021, 2:45 pm

Expectations: I would like to take time to consider safety in photography as I will work with refugee communities and photogaphy can expose them. I would like to learn basics of photographic skills so I can teach my group some basics of how to take effective photos. I would like to take some time to look at ethical issues with photography and develop my facilitation skills. I would like some recommendations of cheap cameras that are good quality.

Concerns: A bit worried about sourcing cameras for the participants, unsure if they will have phones with cameras.

• Kelly Walsh

May 21, 2021, 9:54 am

I hope to learn skills that will help me to take a more participatory approach in my research and evaluation work.

My concern is that I might end the course not feeling able to go out and use this approach in practice.

• Thilo Kroll

May 21, 2021, 11:16 am

Expectation

I am hoping to learn more about photography as a visual communication tool in the process of social change. Where does it sit? How can it translate into changes for individuals and communities?

Concern
      How to use cameras with people who either have low visual literacy or visual impairments

• Tricia Jenkins

May 22, 2021, 10:47 am

I hope to improve my photography skills and to learn how to use it within the wide range of community and research projects in which I am engaged. I am particularly interested in using photography with older people.

• Emma Winslet

May 24, 2021, 10:01 am

Up to one expectation – What you hope the training course will achieve?

I hope that the training course will solidify my thoughts and aims regarding participatory photography, and I look forward to delving deeper into the theoretical side of this kind of practice. Photography as a communicative tool for social change is something I have discussed with colleagues, but no wider – so I am really looking forward to our discussions.

Up to one concern – What you are concerned it won’t achieve (if anything)?

I do not have any concerns regarding the course, and only hope I can retain it all!! It would be great if we have resources to refer back to afterwards – perhaps recorded conversations on zoom.