Course Introduction and Expectations and Concerns Activity

Course Introduction and Expectations and Concerns Activity

• Sofie Mortensen

March 16, 2021, 9:42 am

I expect that the course will provide a better understanding how to practically use participatory photography, particularly facilitation and ethical concerns.

• Heather Carey

March 18, 2021, 10:57 am

I have been a professional photographer for 20 years, and had a camera in hand since the age of 13. I am also incredibly active in my Bahamas community as an advocate and activist. I have been looking at a way to combine photography and literacy ever since I came across Wendy Ewald’s book “I wanna Take Me a Picture”. Wendy travelled the globe using photography and writing to enable disenfranchised children to express themselves better. As I became more of a community advocate I’ve looked for a way to combine all three and came across your organization. It’s hard to define what I’m hoping to achieve from this course as I have been researching extensively. I guess I’m hoping for that ah-ha moment over the 5 days that enables me to tie it all together, that makes it make sense, and gives me the courage to finalize the establishment of my own non-profit and to get cracking in the community. I feel like I have all of the ducks in a row – the photography skills, the storytelling, the stories, the access, the funding. I’m hoping this course will simply nudge me off of the ledge!

• Anjali Gupta

March 18, 2021, 11:11 am

I hope to achieve a better understanding in how to use photography in a way to communicate and help people tell their own stories in order to create social change. Also to understand ethical issues and engaging participants in the use of photography.

• Kate Melody Burmon

March 19, 2021, 3:13 pm

Along the same lines as Heather, I am kind of seeking an “aha” moment when a lot of the ideas I have had floating around come together regarding how I can use participatory photography in the most meaningful way in my research on cultural property crime. I know that ethics play a large role in this class, but I’m still a bit worried regarding the populations potentially in play and the harms that could occur.

• Lauren Alessi

March 19, 2021, 6:49 pm

I am a researcher and program evaluator working mostly with social services and community-based programs. Through this course, I am hoping to learn more about how to use photography as a research and community engagement tool, in particular getting the community more involved with data collection, interpretation, and dissemination. I am also interested in how participatory photography can be used to inform recommendations to government partners and policy makers, particularly when “hard data” and statistics are often prioritized. Though, I’m not sure if that is beyond the scope of this training.

• Robin Postel

March 19, 2021, 7:48 pm

I expect that I will enjoy this training, learn a lot, and stimulate my own creativity. I really don’t have any concerns at this moment. Or, maybe just one: it is early morning for me, I hope extra coffee will jump start me!

• Quan Nguyen

March 22, 2021, 2:00 am

Hello everyone, I am a social worker, I expected to learn much about photovoice especially in ethical and practical aspects. I would love to learn more about empowerment dimension of participatory photography too, Although I am passionate in photography, I have not had a chance to bring the method into practice yet.