Ground Rules Information and Activity

Ground Rules Information and Activity

• Sofie Mortensen

March 16, 2021, 9:55 am

Ground rules: Make space for other participants to talk, listen carefully to and respect what they say, you can always chose what to share, (in a project situation: you can always chose to leave the workshop/stop participation/you can always chose for the photos not to be shared beyond group).

• Heather Carey

March 18, 2021, 11:07 am

To add to Sofia’s comments above, to respect start time of the live sessions. I’m not too worried if sessions run long as that would be a good indicator of engagement, but starting on time is important.

• Anjali Gupta

March 18, 2021, 11:32 am

I agree with both points above from Sofie and Heather. I also think it is important that everyone’s input is equally valued, respect to each person speaking and encourage everyone to talk but not to discourage someone if they are shy or doesn’t know what to say at a certain point. Be supportive and not judgmental.

• Kate Melody Burmon

March 19, 2021, 3:22 pm

I most certainly agree with the other comments above. Additionally, I like the idea of turning mobile phones on silent. However, I would go one step further and hope that we can all stay engaged. As an educator, it is so frustrating – especially with such a small group – when even one person is checked out (on mobile or otherwise), as it can disrupt flow, cause discomfort with others, cause frustration when information needs to be repeated, etc. So, I would add committing to be engaged with each other during the live sessions.

• Lauren Alessi

March 19, 2021, 7:01 pm

Many good suggestions have already been made. I will just highlight again being respectful of the differences that will exist within the group and being open to disagreement should it arise. I also appreciate what Kate said about committing to being engaged since it can often impact the whole group if one person starts tuning out.

• Robin Postel

March 19, 2021, 8:01 pm

Don’t assume that our own interpretation of events is the only way to see it (particularly if tensions arise). Check our understanding. I like the presentation’s suggestion to have strategies to address ‘transgressions’ of agreed ground rules that feel safe and contribute to everyone’s learning.

• Quan Nguyen

March 22, 2021, 2:19 am

I agreed with initial ground rules posted above. I wanted to emphasize that equal opportunity to speak in group discussion without interrupted and promote active listening. Using zoom also might prepare a quiet place to join live sessions. One more thing, since as I speak English as second language, so in live sessions, I hope people can talk in normal speed that would help me to engage in our conversations 🙂