About PhotoVoice and Mapping out a Project Cycle Activity

About PhotoVoice and Mapping out a Project Cycle Activity

• Robin Postel

March 23, 2021, 8:12 pm

My work is domain, but not issue, specific. I work in the world of work, where typically the organization pays (for example an all staff retreat, or team coaching). Sometimes a project is obtained through a bidding process, with some organizations we have a long term agreement, and leaders or HR from various parts of the organization can contract a project based on specific prearranged agreements. We start with a high level proposed flow for the project based on the presented issues. We typically go through a ‘discovery’ phase to get a sense of the issues, from all or a cross section of the potential participants, before providing a more detailed process plan. Significant evaluation is not generally budgeted, even if we recommend it.
      An important ethical issue to be considered is that participation is not always voluntary, as there is an expectation that all members of the organizational unit in the project should participate.
      We already use images (photos and art) as part of our process, we’d need to think about some of the implications of using participant photography (e.g visual literacy, editing, captioning, curation) as well as ethical issues about use of photos. At this point, with our population, I think we would start with using people’s own smartphones, but some assumptions and implications to to reflect on about that.

• Heather Carey

March 23, 2021, 8:49 pm

As the concept of participatory photography is pretty non existent in the Bahamas at this point, my thought process was that I would establish a non profit (currently in the works), approach a few key people that I know within the community who are advocates for several of the issues that I would like to bring to the forefront, and to have them fund a year’s worth of various projects. I plan to have each of the projects outlined and a projected budget in place along with a timeline (some of the projects can run concurrently). Having already obtained support from 2 major galleries as well as a printing company, the idea would be to hold exhibitions at the end of the projects with the secondary benefit of introducing the concept of PP to the wider community. Then the transition can be made to partnering and/or being commissioned.

I do have a question: when you are holding in person PP within the communities how do you view the images with the participants? Do you hire projectors/screens or do you travel with your own? Or do you utilize large monitors? Just curious how that works in some of the more remote locations that you have been to and what sort of equipment you factor into your budgets for each projects (i.e. other than the cameras what do you purchase / rent each time).

• Lauren Alessi

March 23, 2021, 9:55 pm

I imagine using PP as a supplemental tool for research and evaluation projects already underway. My work involves applying for grants or having agencies or state leaders come to my organization with a particular program that needs to be evaluated. So, PP would be something that could be proposed as part of the research design either with a particular research question in mind or as a way to invite the community to help drive the project. A lot of my work is qualitative so I envision using PP as an additional tool in data collection, especially when considering limitations or ethical concerns with interviewing or focus grouping individuals or other forms of data collection like surveys. One of the biggest considerations I’m keeping in mind relates to the ethics and implications of using photographs. Because many of the groups I work with are marginalized and/or highly-researched groups, I would want to think about how the photographs will be used and the consent process for disseminating photos.

• Kate Melody Burmon

March 24, 2021, 1:19 am

Assignment #1:
      I love the idea of the first or second types of project development and certainly would not turn down such opportunities, but I’m currently in academia and my research is funded through grants, so I would need to be approaching partners. However, I’m considering moving into the private sector and – depending on where I ended up – I could see other options.

Assignment #2:
      Define core purpose
      Identify Aims & Objectives
      Find project partners / participants (this seems like it could actually come first or third or more cyclically)
      Prepare budget
      Devise project plan
      Develop protection procedures (I moved this and the previous because I have found most grants require these two elements in applying for funding)
      Apply funds
      Exhibition
      Disseminate outputs
      Monitoring/evaluation
      Compile funder reports

• Sofie Mortensen

March 24, 2021, 9:01 am

My work fall under the third category and currently I am trying to establish partnerships with local CSOs that can help me facilitate the research which will include PP alongside other qualitative and participatory methods. In relation to the project cycle, while I overall focus on young migrants in Thailand, I hope that I through the participatory methods can narrow down the scope together with the participants to ensure that I research what is most important and useful for them. This means that aims and objectives might move a bit down the list as these will be developed along the way. I am not yet sure whether or not to use the photographs in an exhibition, this will really depend on whether or not this is interesting for the participants. And also, I am very concerned with the ethics of using photographs in the context of migration, which can be a very sensitive issue. So I need to ensure full anonymity.

• Quan Nguyen

March 24, 2021, 11:21 am

#Assignment 1
      As a social work practitioner in Vietnam, the second and third types of projects will be closer to me since we often collaborate with many organizations to plan community-based projects to support underrepresented communities with localized purpose. Ethical consideration matters when it comes to reality since we have experienced practitioners who sometimes seek a shortcut or create peer-pressure to involve local participants in the projects. The issues of privacy are not always acknowledged without stringent supervision. Some practitioners consider ethical concerns are addressed right after the consent obtained.
      # Assignment 2:
      1. Proposal
      Define core purpose
      Identify Aims & Objectives
      Devise project plan
      Develop protection procedures
      Recruit/train/DBS staff / volunteers
      Find project partners / participants
      Complete consent forms (before workshop right after participants agreed)
      2. Funding
      3.2. Workshop activities
      Implement workshops
      Set ground rules
      Theory of image
      Explore visual literacy
      Discuss implications of image use
      Use of camera in practice
      Train basic camera skills
      Go on outshoots
      Upload / Discuss images
      Edit/caption images
      4. Exhibition
      Identify personal project ideas
      Disseminate outputs
      Contact policy influencers
      Exhibition
      Project celebration
      5. Monitoring/evaluation (this one should be done all stages of the project)