Role of the facilitator

Role of the facilitator

• Melisa Maida

May 25, 2021, 12:26 pm

Although I am interested in photography, I never taken any formal training and would like to develop my understanding of the basics of photography, including techniques, styles, key photographers. Could you suggest any good books/websites/resources please? Thanks

• Thilo Kroll

May 25, 2021, 1:22 pm

I have facilitated workshops with different groups before. However, I have no personal experience with facilitating a PhotoVoice workshop. The closest I personally got was in working with colleagues who used this approach. I also used photography in class with students.

• Niamh O'Callaghan

May 25, 2021, 3:14 pm

Similar to Melisa, I am also interested in photography but I don’t have formal training but I would like to improve. I have no experience facilitating workshop’s so this is very new for me and I am taking all the pointers on board.

• Tiffani Luethke

May 25, 2021, 9:22 pm

Like Thilo, I feel pretty comfortable facilitating different types of groups but have virtually no experience with PhotoVoice prior to this training. I’m wondering if it could be helpful and appropriate to invite a guest speaker with more photography experience to help provide some technical guidance? Do you have any experiences and/or thoughts on doing this well?

• Kate Spelman

May 25, 2021, 9:47 pm

I really like this idea, Tiffani! You’d probably have to be careful about selecting the guest speaker, but I would imagine having someone with real skills come in might help a lot, and could also be a way to treat the process seriously and thereby encourage participants to really invest.

• Kelly Walsh

May 25, 2021, 9:32 pm

I have experience facilitating workshops but definitely have areas in which I could improve. I’m not as comfortable with silence as I’d like to be so this is a helpful reminder. Similarly to Melisa and Niamh I really like photography but am a novice so would appreciate any resources to learn more.

• Kate Spelman

May 25, 2021, 9:46 pm

Like some others, I have very little experience in photography. I like Tiffani’s idea of inviting a guest speaker who could do some broad strokes outline of techniques! I’d also love to hear from folks with more depth in their art or photography background in our course on what resources might help a beginner.

I found it interesting that this did not mention having a co-facilitator. I read somewhere that projects like this often employ a co-facilitator, especially someone who is a member of the group which is doing the project. (i.e. an LGBT+ older adult as co-leader.) I’d be interested to hear more about that idea, and whether that person should be a volunteer or compensated.

• Candice Salyers

May 26, 2021, 1:57 am

I really appreciate how PhotoVoice is very clear about what they do and what they don’t do. As described in the video, the organization partners with another organization that is issue specific. What are some ways you have found to begin developing successful partnerships with other organizations?

• Emma Winslet

May 26, 2021, 12:19 pm

Really brilliant video, in terms of my own journey as a facilitator – I have found that there is an element of safety in taking time to really plan sessions and gaging the dynamics in a group. I have also found Emotional Intelligence to be extremely important, and to ensure that all participants know they are in a safe and structured environment.

I think the assumption when working creatively is to have an all free – flowing environment, when in reality if you are a participant who struggles with their days [ or for instance are in a recovery, programme] to come to a session which is planned and bookended, allows you to gage the amount of energy needed perhaps or gives something to look forward to in terms of content.

As mentioned, partnering with organisations who you can speak with beforehand and really thoroughly go through safeguarding procedures and any behaviours that may need flagging, is very important for both the participants safety & wellbeing and your own.

Creating a warm environment with trust and freedom within learning is something I strive for but think can constantly be improved and checked in on – and something I hope to improve through the next few days!

• Tricia Jenkins

May 26, 2021, 1:36 pm

Although I facilitate quite a lot and have recently been training facilitators online, there were some really interesting points raised, For example, on conflict – has rarely happened and I am a conflict averse person in any case, but some hints on how to handle conflict in workshop situations is welcome, as I tend to avoid at all costs! It’s great to see a lot of our practices around facilitation and approach are echoed here. It’s always good to reflect on your practice, however experienced you are so thanks!