FEB21 – Introduction to Cameras

FEB21 – Introduction to Cameras

• Gabriella Solano

February 23, 2021, 1:50 am

I am using small point-and-shoot digital cameras with my students that I was able to purchase with grant money. Though they are not as advanced as DSLR cameras or as interesting as analog options, they are very student-friendly and affordable which makes it possible for each student to have their own. The disadvantages are that they can get lost and are easy to break and phones are easier when it comes to uploading the photos, however not every child has a phone or a parent’s phone available for use so I like the camera option. I plan to leave the cameras in the art room so that future classes can do photovoice projects.

• PhotoVoice Training

February 25, 2021, 10:29 pm

Hi Abbey, sounds like a really good plan. We use a lot of point and shoot cameras and we feel they are the best tool for delivering participatory photography projects. Leaving them in the classrooms sounds, in your case, very appropriate as well.

• Lee Kane

February 23, 2021, 7:00 pm

As we work with young people who seem constantly attached to their smartphones, I am most likely to opt for smartphone cameras. We want the young people to feel more connected to the project, so using their own phones may encourage them to have greater ownership of the project and their images. It is even more likely we will use smartphones given the current restrictions and remote nature of delivery, given the Covid-19 pandemic. Given our relationship with the young people we support, we can quickly identify any issues of accessibility to devices and take steps to rectify this.
      For future projects, depending on the nature of the project, we may look at using point and shoot digital cameras. We would be unlikely to use film cameras or disposable cameras, particularly given the wasteful nature of disposable cameras. We would also be unlikely to use DSLR cameras, given the cost- we are a small charity where budget is always a key considerations.

• Anne Foss-Durant

February 23, 2021, 8:32 pm

Depending on the projects you are delivering, whether offline or online what sort of cameras do you plan to use with your participants? What sort of advantages or disadvantages might your choice of cameras have?
      I am planning on using a combination of online and offline content. Considering the pandemic and the changing rules around gatherings, using a combined method seems prudent. I would much prefer to be in person, I believes this contributes to building a sense of community and commitment to the work/issue. I am planning on using the point and shoot disposable cameras. I see an advantage in having the same technology used by everyone in terms of collecting a collating the images for the write ups or final projects. I also like the idea that this is separate from their personal photos, which may assist in maintaining a sense of privacy for the participants.

Are you planning to leave the cameras with the participants?
      I will more than likely leave the cameras with the participants as a remembrance of the project and their contribution to the work, and I am not planning on collecting or storing additional equipment.

• PhotoVoice Training

February 25, 2021, 10:33 pm

Hi Anne, there is certainly a lot to be said about separating the tools, in this case the camera being the tool from the ones we use every day. Also really good point about privacy and safeguarding. I am just not sure if you meant you will use point and shoot cameras or disposable cameras?

• Barbara Sutton

February 23, 2021, 10:00 pm

I don’t really have the answer to the question yet. If people have iphones, I am good with that. If they need a camera, I can provide that. I will know more once the training is complete and I figure out how I am going to use this, and with who.

• Jo Irvine

February 24, 2021, 9:58 am

Because of the current situation in Northern Ireland and the fact that we are hoping to use participatory photography to gather the views and opinions of young people on Covid and how they view it so we would initially ask the young people to use their smart phones, to adhere to current rules and keep everyone safe. This would allow the young people complete control but each young person will have a different type of camera so we receive different strengths of photos.

We also have access to a digital camera and Ipads so these are other mediums that we can use. However not everyone may not be confident or comfortable using these.

• Sofie Thorsen

February 24, 2021, 10:04 am

Question: When using smartphones, what are your experiences with different photo-apps (regular photo-apps or specific photovoice-apps?), and have do you have experience/insights about potential struggles of people having iPhones vs. Android?

Our project: We plan on using smartphones, because that is what most people are already used to and have the highest ‘visual literacy’ in using (in Copenhagen). We are working with minority groups, among which we might consider if some of the groups are not so tech-savvy – like elderly or homeless people. But actually in Copenhagen, even most elderly and homeless people have smartphones, and depend on them quite a lot because the Danish Welfare state ‘requires’ people to have certain digital capacities. We want to use smartphones to make it convenient for people to stay within a medium that they already know – hoping that photovoice is less intrusive in that way. More importantly, we are designing a specific smartphone app for the photovoice exercise, in which we will be able to prompt participants with different questions and cultural probes that invites them to take photos of certain things, while also enabling them to annotate the image with a couple of simple ‘buttons’: for instance an emojicon to signal what mood they were in when taking the photo, or ranking from 1-5 how included they felt in the space they were in. Another advantage of using smartphones and this photovoice-app we are developing, photos will automatically come with a geo-location of where they were taken – which is essential for us since we are investigating participants’ experiences in cities and want to be able to map that and understand its spatial component.

• PhotoVoice Training

February 25, 2021, 10:40 pm

Hi Sofie, I really am fascinated by the idea of a photovice app and I get your point of why you would use smartphones. I imagine every context will have its own peculiarities, however, in the UK digital exclusion is still very much a thing so that would be a consideration particularly with very vulnerable groups.

We were very adverse to the idea of using smartphones as you can tell from the video but we have had to adapt through the pandemic and have had some good results. We have developed this platform to also use with our projects not just training and have not had any experience with a photovoice app. I have personally tested a variety of photo apps with varying degrees of success but I found padlet.com to be one of the easier tools for sharing and discussing.

I am curious when people share images and content via the app you are developing will there be a group element or would be conducted completely independently via the app where people will respond to prompts? If this is the case consent would be an important aspect to consider.

I would be really interested to follow up on how this develops.

• Niamh Mclaughlin

February 24, 2021, 10:26 am

We will initially use Smartphones in our project. All of our young people have access to these and they are very comfortable and familiar with using them to take pictures. I might introduce the use of disposable cameras to provide an alternative and to use to compare and contrast with the smartphone images.
      Strengths: accessibility, affordability, familiarity
      Disadvantages: Limited in terms of quality